September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance
As the 10-year mark of 9/11 approaches, numerous organizations and individuals nationwide are coming together to remember and honor the victims of the tragedy by helping those in need. ADC encourages its members and friends to take part in the September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance by joining their local communities and taking part in a volunteer initiative.
Looking for ways to get involved? A variety of volunteer activities are planned throughout the weekend of 9/11. View the United We Serve webpage at www.serve.gov and the list below for some ideas on how to give back to your community.
- Donate blood with the American Red Cross
- Plant native flowers or plants along highways
- Clean up a vacant lot
- Lend a helping hand at a local community center
- Help cook and/or serve a meal at a homeless shelter
- Gather clothing from your neighbors and donate it to a local shelter
- Donate art supplies to kids in a homeless shelter
- Bake a batch of cookies and deliver them to a soup kitchen or homeless shelter
- Read to the elderly at nursing homes and assisted living facilities
- Donate children’s books to elementary schools
If you are organizing a volunteer initiative or have other suggestions for service, please share the details with us on the ADC Facebook page.