Apply for the 2020-2021 Jack Shaheen Mass Communications Scholarship!
Washington, D.C. | adc.org
| October 25, 2019 – The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) is offering scholarships of $2,500 in honor of Dr. Jack G Shaheen for Arab American undergraduates who excel in Media Studies!
Undergraduate Juniors and Seniors, as well as Graduate Students majoring in Journalism, Radio, Television, and/or Film are eligible to apply. Click here for a link to the posting.
For those interested in applying, please submit hard copies of the following by Wednesday, April 1st 2020:
- A one-page statement explaining why you merit the scholarship, your goals, how Jack Shaheen’s work influences your career, and a declaration that you are a U.S. citizen of Arab heritage
- Two (2) original signed letters of recommendation from Mass Communications professors.
- Copies of your articles, DVD’s, films, and so forth (these items will not be returned to you)
- Official academic transcripts (minimum 3.0 GPA)
- Your permanent home address, phone number, e-mail address, and your phone number during the school year, if different
Submit all Materials to ADC Research Institute:
ATTN: Nabil Mohamad
1705 DeSales Street, NW Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036
If you have any questions, call (202) 244-2990 or email email@example.com.
Awards will be presented at the 40th ADC National Convention in Washington, D.C., June 2020!
Dr. Shaheen (1935-2017) is an internationally recognized author and media critic who wrote the award-winning book and film, Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People. He has consulted with the United Nations and the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division and has been featured on numerous national network programs such as National Public Radio, CNN, MSNBC and The Today Show.
Watch Dr. Shaheen discuss his work and the harmful nature of Hollywood’s negative stereotypes on the Tavis Smile Show on PBS.