Palestine Awareness Week at AU, April 10-13
Come out to American University April 10-13 to support SJP’s fourth annual Palestine Awareness Week. While there is a detailed calendar of events below, highlights include:
* A panel discussion on the critical humanitarian situation Palestine is facing with esteemed Palestinian Ambassador Afif Safieh, Dr. Peter Gubser
of ANERA, and Dr. Mohammed Abu-Nimer of AU’s School of International Service.
* Noura Erakat’s discussion on the current political context in Palestine and implications for the Palestinian Solidarity Movement in the U.S.
* A panel on work/volunteer opportunities in Palestine from SJP students and alumni who will report back on their experiences in Palestine.
* Cultural Night with DC Dabkeh, Iron Sheik, and Feras on oud.
* The screening of five documentaries and films – including a discussion with Matt Horton on his time spent in Jenin Refugee Camp.
* And of course – the famous Palestine tent will be pitched on the quad throughout PAW.
Don’t miss it – come out for our events and stop by the Palestine tent to encourage student activists who are taking a stand for Palestinian rights on their campus – your support is needed.
See you next week!!
Students for Justice in Palestine at American University proudly present:
PALESTINE AWARENESS WEEK 2006
Calendar of Events — April 10 – April 13
MONDAY, APRIL 10
Screening of Arna‘s Children (12:30, SIS Lounge)
Follow-up Discussion with Matt Horton based on his experiences in Jenin Refugee Camp
Discussion on “The Humanitarian Condition in Palestine and the Potential Impact of Stopping Aid” with Palestinian Ambassador Afif Safieh, Dr. Peter Gubser, and Dr. Mohammed Abu-Nimer. (8:00, McDowell Formal Lounge – reception will follow discussion)
TUESDAY, APRIL 11
Screening of Dispatches: The Killing Zone (12:30, Mary Graydon Center 200)
Noura Erakat discusses “The Failure of Oslo, the Success of Hamas at the Polls, and Implications for the Palestinian Solidarity Movement in the U.S.”
(7:00, Mary Graydon Center 200)
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12
Screenings of West Bank Story and Rana‘s Wedding (12:30, Mary Graydon Center 245)
“Out of the Classroom and Into the Occupation: American University Students Report Back on Working and Volunteering in Palestine” with Sahar Al-Nouri,
Nathaniel Black, Soud Habbas, Lamese Hasan, Peter Muller, & Nathan Stock (7:00, Mary Graydon Center 200)
THURSDAY, APRIL 13
“Israeli and Palestinian Elections and their Implications on the Future of the Region” Mohammed Abu-Nimer (SIS) and Steven A. Cook (Council
on Foreign Relations) (Co-presented with the School of International
Service; SIS Lounge, 12:00) Followed by Screening of Peace, Propaganda, and the Promised Land
4th Annual Palestine Awareness Week Cultural Night — come out and enjoy traditional and contemporary Palestinian music and dance!!
Featuring: Traditional Oud Music with Feras, DC
Dabkeh, and Palestinian-American hip-hop artist, Iron Sheik (8:00 Amphitheatre; Tavern in case of rain)
All events are free and open to the public!
Stop by the PAW tent on the Quad anytime for food and discussion!
Contact Shan at AU.SJPal@gmail.com for more information
Directions to American University – 4400 Massachusetts Ave, NW in Washington, DC: http://www.american.edu/maps/
Map of Main Campus: http://www.american.edu/maps/campus.htm