Request for Information about Questioning at Special Registration Interviews
The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC), the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the American Immigration Law Foundation (AILF), the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the National Immigration Law Center, and the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild are investigating the conduct of special registration interviews. We are particularly interested in determining whether questions about religious beliefs or practices are being asked of any registrants. If you have any information regarding the following, please email the details to mailto:email@example.com (please put the words “Registration Questions” in the subject line of your message).
1. Any questions about religious beliefs, religious practices, mosque attendance, etc. Please indicate the specific questions asked.
2. Any questions about membership in organizations, names of friends, loyalty to the United States, political beliefs, etc. Please indicate the specific questions asked.
3. Any questions that are not part of the standard form (usually the I-877) that many INS offices use for the initial registration (this form asks for information like name, address, hair and eye color, place of birth, arrival and visa information, and information about registrants’ parents).
4. Please indicate whether the questions were asked:
— at the initial registration interview.
— at a follow-up interview conducted by Investigations.
5. Please indicate whether persons referred to Investigations had to complete a 7-page document that includes questions about knowledge of anyone raising or contributing money for any organization or planning or advocating violent activities.
6. Any documents that were required for the registration and whether the INS kept a copy or the original.
7. Please indicate if the registrant was represented by counsel and whether you have observed any differences in how represented and unrepresented registrants are questioned.
8. Please indicate the date and place of the registration.